Welcome to Chears (Pvt) Ltd (Sri Lanka) & Chears International Ltd (United Kingdom), your number one source for sewing machines, headphones, earphones, pianos, keyboards and synthesizers. Founded in 1985 (with roots as a garments factory in 1978), Chears has come a long way from its beginnings. We now serve customers island-wide (Colombo, Negombo, Kandy, Galle), and are established in the sewing and music industries.
We’re dedicated to giving you the best service at the best prices possible, thus we hope you enjoy our products as much as we enjoy offering them to you.
All products listed in this store are imported directly from our global suppliers, whose products we are authorised to sell and service in Sri Lanka or have exclusive production for us by OEM-approved ISO9001 certified factories. Hence any product we carry we are authorised distributors for, as we do not carry 3rd party purchased goods in our online store. If you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
A brief time-line of our company.
- 1978 October 10th - Opened Devi Garments - a Garments factory under the newly introduced open economy concept in 1977 to serve the Local Apparel Industry, thus by becoming a contractor for many Government Institutions including Sri Lanka Army, Salu Sala, Colombo Dockyard, Ceylon Tobacco, Lanka Milk Foods, etc.
- 1983 - Godawatta Sons Opened its First Sewing Machine Showroom at Colombo Central Super Market Complex. This was the First SINGER Cash & Carry Dealer appointed by the SINGER Company.
- 1985 October 18th - CHEARS company Opened its first showroom at No.74, Front Street, Colombo 11.
- First to Import OVERLOCK machines from INDIA to Sri Lanka from PARA'S SPECIAL in Ludhiana, India in 1987.
- 1989 - Expanded the Garments Factory as MIDI FASHIONS for exporting to international markets, including U.S.A & Germany.
- First Company to Import SUN STAR Sewing Machines from Korea in 1992 to Sri Lanka.
- First Company to Import SHANGGONG (GC15-1 and GN6-5) Industrial Machines from CHINA to Sri Lanka in 1991.
- 1992 - Mr. Ruwan Godawatta joined family the business.
- 1995 - Company incorporated as CHEARS (PVT) LIMITED.
- 1998 - Second Showroom opened at 165, Old Road, Maharagama.
- 2009 - Musical Instruments (Pianos) business started.
- 2012 - Became the KAWAI (Japan) Distributor to Sri Lanka.
- 2013 - Became the MAQI (China) Distributor to Sri Lanka.
- 2013 - Became the KURZWEIL (USA/Korea) Distributor to Sri Lanka.
- 2014 - Became to JACK (China) Distributor to Sri Lanka.
- 2014 - Opened its first Music Showroom at Liberty Plaza complex and subsequently moved it in 2016 to Majestic City Shopping Mall.
- 2015 - Opened the 4th Showroom at Seeduwa.
- 2016 - Became the MEE-AUDIO (USA) Distributor in Sri Lanka.
- 2021 December - Chears International Ltd, Cambridgeshire, UK, took ownership and payment processing of the website www.chears.lk.